- 1 cup of organic all purpose flour
- 1 cup of coarse cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt I used Kosher
- 2 tsp of dehydrated onions
- 2 tsp of buttermilk powder
- 1 Tbsp of baking powder (aluminum free)
- Cajun seasoning (to taste)
- Garlic power ( to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 egg ( I used a jumbo)
- 3/4 cup of whole milk – add as needed to get to the right stage of batter – slightly thicker than pancakes or waffles
Mix all ingredients together with whisk or fork until well combined and let it sit aside for about 5-7 min – it will be puffy in appearance. Spoon into oil that has been heated at 375 and fry until brown on both sides – turning frequently. Drain and serve with tarter or ketchup.
If you add cream corn, just reduce your milk to get the right consistency. Water is NOT recommended for your liquid. This recipe makes about 20-30 hush puppies.